Women, girls, men and boys with or without disabilities are perceived to have strict gender roles. When interacting with their environment, individuals may encounter attitudinal, institutional, physical and communication barriers depending on their gender, age, and disability, as well as other diversity factors – and how they intersect. These barriers prevent them from participation in community life and decision- making. These barriers altogether result in increasing vulnerability factors. While persons with disabilities experiencing a humanitarian crisis are at elevated risk of rights violations due to environmental barriers to safety and life-saving services during times of socio-economic breakdown and suspended or dismantled services. Therefore, the promotion and protection of fundamental rights and safety from social exclusion, discrimination and persecution based on disability status is essential to reducing vulnerability and increasing capacities to cope. In 2022, over 41 million persons with disabilities are expected to need humanitarian assistance.
This session will focus on inclusion principles of Gender, Age and Disability throughout the Humanitarian Programme Cycle, with special focus on the preparedness phase.
The session will help operations working in emergencies and humanitarian response to better consider marginalized and vulnerable groups, especially during is the most important phase, which is the preparedness phase. Sensitization of the elements of Gender, Age and Disability in this phase will ensure leave no one behind. It helps to identify the issues, needs, priorities and opportunities. It puts the individual at the center of the response. Focus on practical examples of the field will be shared with audience.
- Age, Gender and Diversity Policy.
- Reporting on AGD policy
- Tip sheets on Applying AGD policy to different groups UNHCR
- Promising practices related to AGD, Community engagement and AAP UNHCR
- Need to Know Guidance series:
- Training materials:
- LGBTIQ+ UNHCR - Training package: SOGIESC and working with LGBTIQ+ persons in forced displacement
- Disability UNHCR - Training Package: Strengthening Protection of Persons with Disabilities in Forced Displacement
- Intersectionality UNHCR - Intersectionality and the Age, Gender & Diversity Approach
- Gender equality toolkit UNHCR - UNHCR Gender Equality Toolkit